The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

• The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

Taft Today

2023 Trend Retrospective

2023 was a year of many trends, whether that be in media or in fashion, it is safe to assume that most of us participated in at least one popular trend this year. From clothes, music, movies, memes, to the latest trendy item, 2023 was a big year for popular culture. 

2023 showcased many comebacks from the 2000’s. Many people were wearing baggy or lowrise jeans, and listening to car artists of the time. Many individuals began to shop at thrift stores to indulge in the nostalgia of the 2000’s. The influence of the 2000’s was present in many pieces of media from different music artists and films.

Like many years, the rise of certain footwear trends were prominent in 2023. The most popular shoes this past year would definitely be the sought after Tasman Uggs, Adidas Sambas, Birkenstocks, Yeezy, and Nike Dunks to name some of the more common shoes this past year.

Taft senior, Zineddine Bouchama, said, “In 2023 the clothing world brought a lot of popularity and exposure to people’s fashion statements.”

Going with themes of clothing, some of the more popular clothing trends in 2023 would have to be flared leggings, carpenter jeans, cargo pants, camo everything, graphic tees to name a few. People all over found many new style aesthetics in 2023 and shared their vision all over social media.

How about what was in the media in 2023? From music to movies, many found shared joy from these outlets. Artists such as Taylor Swift, Drake, Travis Scott, The Weeknd, Sza, Bad Bunny, and Lana Del Rey dominated the music scene with new singles, albums, and tours. 2023 was a big year for the music industry, but also for the film industry.

The summer of 2023 was the summer of ‘Barbenheimer,’ where the two very opposite films, Barbie and Oppenheimer shared a release date and brought many together to their local movie theaters. Other popular films include The Super Mario Bros Movie, The Hunger Games, Across The Spider-Verse, The Eras Tour, Five Nights at Freddy’s and Saltburn.

“The fact that Barbie and Oppenheimer came out at the same time period definitely amped people up. You’d often see people dress up for Barbie, and then would see Oppenheimer right after, it was a fun way to include everyone. Tik Tok definitely contributed to it becoming huge, with people and their friends in pink outfits,” said Julianna Koziol, Taft senior.

What about the trends in between? The rise and fall of the Grimace shake was present over the summer, Stanley Cup became the trendiest way to drink water, Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift made headlines, AI creeped up everywhere, people discussed their ‘Roman Empires,’ and Girl dinner reinvented snacking. 

It is safe to say that 2023 was jam packed with trends, memes, and historical moments. Trends may come and go as the years pass, but at least for the most part they bring others together. Here’s to 2024 continuing to bring others together.