The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

• The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

Taft Today

Road To Home

Road To Home

Not everyone has the perfect plan for life where they “have it all figured out” on the first go. Some people take years before finding out what they desire in life and we’re here to tell you that that’s okay.

With decision day around and seniors stressing about FAFSA, many are still determining their post-high school plan. Some are even being advised to take a gap year and discover their interests. If you’re a senior, I suggest you keep reading.

Tony Schmitt, a teacher of both Physics and Robotics, went to college and majored in Chemistry Education.

“20 years ago I would’ve been just starting my high school dream life. At that point, I didn’t really know what I wanted to do. It jumped between being an adventurer and just being somewhere outside,” said Schmitt. 

This is just one example of the “road to home” when figuring out post-college plans. Sometimes we don’t figure it out until later on in life. Schmitt explained how he discovered teaching and got the advantage of finding a job with the summer off, so he could continue to work and do what he’s always loved.

We went around gathering stories from teachers in an attempt to inspire seniors at Taft and even validate the struggle of not knowing exactly what’s ahead. No one can tell you your future, and deciding it all at the peak age of 17/18 isn’t ideal. 

We plan to spotlight stories of change and progression and inspire students currently figuring out their future. Graham Baruch, a Physics teacher at Taft, said, “I didn’t see myself fitting into the traditional learning environment… I had to figure out what I wasn’t good at, what I was good at, what I needed, and this [teaching] kind of fit the bill.”

Baruch’s story highlights the struggle of not seeing yourself “fitting into the traditional learning environment” and how some people “need structure” to discover their true interests. He jumped from journalism to art, to healthcare administration, until he finally reached something he was comfortable with, teaching.

Sometimes when choosing your pathway, you think you could see everything crystal clear. You know exactly what you want in life and you know what you need to do to get there but while crossing the finish line, a taste of what you’ve been working for makes you realize the unfortunate fact that you resent your once dream.

“I wanted to be an astrophysicist and had to major in Math. I completed my Math major and knew I’d never pursue it since I hated it. And if I couldn’t do Math, I couldn’t do Physics, meaning I couldn’t be an astrophysicist,” said Anamaria Castellucci Cabral, Visual Arts teacher at Taft.

Can we change our goals rapidly? How do we, as seniors, decide which path is the best to take? How do we find our road to home?

“I think most seniors struggle with time management. Many excuses why college apps haven’t been completed are because of work, extracurricular activities, or too much homework. Whatever the case may be, senior year can become very stressful, it’s important to manage your time when it comes to college responsibilities,” said Christina Nasios, a senior at Taft.

It’s important to remind yourself that not everyone has it all figured out. When it comes to finding your interests and planning out what to do after high school, take the time to explore your options. Even if that means taking a gap year.

So seniors, if you’re reading this right now, it’s okay if you don’t have it all figured out. Your road to home may take a little longer than anticipated but you will eventually make it.