The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

• The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

Taft Today

Of Bolts and Bullets: ULTRAKILL’s Completed Arsenal

Gameplay from the latest update, courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
George Zemenides

As ULTRAKILL hurtles toward its final release, its developers are more than willing to fill the interim – and on Apr. 15, they did just that. After years of predictions and fanart, New Blood Interactive released ULTRAKILL’s complete arsenal. Players get to slash, scorch, and shock their way across hell, finding secrets beneath the blood. 

“Machines, it’s time to LOCK AND LOAD,” proclaimed Hakita, ULTRAKILL’s lead dev, on the game’s Steam feed. “Your arsenal is now complete.” 

Indeed, the four new weapons open up strategies for veterans and new players alike. Take the firestarter: a gas-guzzling, demon-charring variation for the rocket launcher. It can cover entire rooms in flame and burn all but the hardest enemies to a crisp; here, clever use can flip the script on hordes of foes – if the player’s fast enough. 

“The firestarter’s incredibly fun to exploit,” said Sernie Williams, ULTRAKILL beta tester, on New Blood Discord. “The variant was difficult to handle when Hakita first uploaded the design, but a month later, I use it so much.”

The other weapons are similarly ludicrous. Players can now attach a chainsaw to their shotguns – running through weaker enemies or punching the attachment into bosses. The nailgun, ULTRAKILL’s automatic weapon, now has an electric edge: with the jumpstart option, any kill releases multi-target shocks. With skill, a canny wielder can kill hundreds between these options. 

But many players gravitate to a stranger weapon: the earthshaker. As it’s bolted onto your character’s arm, this tool requires players to get close and personal – to astounding effect. The earthshaker’s damage scales with player speed, and if a user can max out their velocity, the results are brutally explosive. 

“Seriously, one punch at max speed can take out nearly anything,” stated Prim Jacob, ULTRAKILL reviewer. “People say the earthshaker takes too long to use, but when it clicks, it clicks.”

The rest of the game, including these weapons, is $24.99.

Hell remains full, but these guns can empty it a bit.