The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

• The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

Taft Today

Taylor Swift: A Tortured Poet

Kailee Roman
Tortured Poets Department Manuscript Vinyl

On Friday, April 19, Taylor Swift released her eleventh album, Tortured Poets Department, also referred to as TTPD. At 2 am, Swift dropped a second album, Anthology. Fans have noticed Swift referencing the number two many times and whether it was a double album, merch drop or more. With both albums combined, it totals 31 songs. 

On Saturday, April 20, Swift released a music video for her song, “Fortnight” (featuring Post Malone). The music video featured both artists but also actors, Josh Charles and Ethan Hawke from Dead Poets Society

I have been very excited for this album to release since it focuses on poetry and readers. The tracklist references Disney movie The Little Mermaid with song, “But Daddy I Love Him” and American actress, Clara Bow. However, some tracks hint at past drama and celebrities such as Kim Kardashian in “thanK you aIMee” and Travis Kelce in “So High School.”

So far, my favorites have been “So High School,” “So Long, London,” and “I Can Do It With A Broken Heart.” I felt it was heartwarming being able to see the first Kelce love song and seeing a glimpse of what their relationship is like. It was also very cool to see references to the Chiefs in the lyrics. 

However, Taft senior Donovan Horvath disagrees. “I don’t like the Chiefs, my dislike for the Chiefs has a lot to do with me not liking Taylor Swift.” Although he isn’t a big Taylor Swift fan, he has listened to the new album because his younger sisters played it in the car.

Another Taft senior, Ana Jaramillo, said, “I liked the songs, however I expected more of a variety for the album like sad or love songs but it was just all sad. I felt like some of the songs sounded the same but I still enjoy the album overall.”

Listening to the album, I would have to agree that some of the songs sound very similar due to the tempo and beats and even remind me of Swift’s album, Folklore. However, the lyrics are very unique and jaw dropping to make them stand out. 

Although Taft senior Juan Popoca hasn’t listened to the new album, he is still spreading his love for Taylor Swift. “I love Taylor Swift because she taught me that haters are going to hate hate hate.” 

If you are in need of ‘sad girl music’ or just some new music, I recommend you give this album a chance. After all, all is fair in love and poetry.