The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

• The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

Taft Today

Challengers Movie Review

Challengers Poster in a frame
Courtesy of Google
Challengers Poster in a frame

Challengers, directed by Luca Guadagnino, serves up a story about the complexities of tennis and love. With its compelling storyline and masterful direction, this film takes audiences on an intense journey that depicts the drama of a love triangle and tennis.

The performances in Challengers are nothing short of exceptional. The talented cast includes Zendaya as Tashi Duncan, Mike Faist as Art Donaldson, and Josh O’ Connor as Patrick Zweig. Their chemistry on screen is unmatched, adding depth and authenticity to the three way relationship that unfolds throughout the film.

“This cast is amazing! They are all super super talented, and each of the three main characters really know how to bring out the drama of what is going on in the film,” said Kristina Aleksic, Taft senior.

What sets Challengers apart is its ability to delve into the complexities of the human experience. It explores the complicated world of teen romance and how that can lead into adult life. The film spans over the course of 13 years, showing the nitty gritty parts of this love triangle.

The film also beautifully captures the highs and lows of the competitive world of tennis. At the center of the film is a tennis match in the present day between the characters of Art and Patrick. 

The rest of the story is told through flashbacks giving the audience context to the drama at hand. The way the film is structured leaves the viewer entertained and on the edge of their seat.

The film is really a breath of fresh air. It’s an original story that succeeds at what it is trying to convey. The romance in the film is like a tennis game, where the two boys are competing for a girl, but the girl bounces back and forth between the two, and the boys are trying to “win the match.”

“I wasn’t expecting the movie to be this entertaining. From what I saw in the trailers, I was expecting a really long movie about romance and tennis, which is what the movie is about, but it is so fun to watch. A really entertaining and heart racing movie and the ending will leave you speechless,” said Anastasija Stojakovic, Taft senior.

Challengers, which is visually stunning and expertly crafted, showcases Luca Guadagnino’s directorial strengths. The cinematography is unique and beautiful, with each shot composed to heighten the intensity of the story. 

Many interesting editing techniques are seen in the movie, making many scenes incredibly visually appealing. The soundtrack is also top notch. The original score is heard throughout the entirety of the film, and the music, although jarring at times, perfectly captures the film’s essence and dramatic flare.

“I really love the way the movie was made. The music was so crazy that it just made sense. Whenever something dramatic was going on, the music matched it. It also gets you super hype for tennis,” said Stojakovic.

Challengers is a must-see film that blends the worlds of tennis and intense love. With its stellar performances, deeper meanings, and stunning artistic visuals and sounds, this movie is a must see.