The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

• The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

Taft Today

Previewing the 2023 Homecoming Game

Words of excitement surrounding Homecoming have been spreading around the school. Not only for the dance, but also for the football game the night before the dance.  Taft has started a two week win streak after their second win against Lane tech on Friday Sept. 15. 

This game brought back memories of last year’s Homecoming game where the Eagles lost to the Lane Tech Champions, however this year’s Homecoming game is looking better for the eagles. 

This year Taft is going up against Whitney Young for their final home game of the season. Taft is currently 2-2 overall and 2-0 in their conference. Whitney Young is also 2-2 overall, but 1-1 in their conference. After hearing this information, the players feel even more confident that they will bring home a victory on Oct. 13. 

Taft football players are working hard and preparing for the upcoming game with Whitney Young. Receiver and outside linebacker Steven Tantchev (Senior)  stated, “I feel like we could win. It’s going to be a shutout.” Defensive End  Kuba Wierzchowiak (Junior) said,  “I feel pretty good. I feel confident that we’re gonna win.”   

According to Coach Zachary Elder, Taft Football Head Coach, the team is out on the field practicing four to six days a week trying to fix any issues they have seen  in games and clean up their routes. Hopefully, the team can stay healthy for the next three weeks and not lose anymore players along the way.

Elder stated his thoughts about this game by saying, “I feel pretty confident against Whitney [Young]. They’re a solid team, but they’re one that we’ve done well against in the past and I like our chances of that continuing.”