The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

• The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

Taft Today

Feminine Care Drive

Courtesy of Google Images.

The Hope for the Homeless club is running a Feminine Care Drive from Sep. 26 through Oct. 10 to help the women who are being housed at Sarah’s Circle. Donations will directly benefit the women who need them.

Sarah’s circle is a nonprofit organization in Chicago which helps homeless women by providing them necessities and a safe place.

“Hope for the Homeless is roughly five years old as a club, starting over at the Varsity campus in roughly 2018, but HFTH has always been student driven and student led, initiating incredible service projects to support those experiencing homelessness around our neighborhood,” says club supervisor and Individuals and Societies teacher, Alyssa Niese. 

The Feminine Care Drive is important for many different reasons. It aims to address the specific needs and challenges faced by women in terms of their reproductive health, hygiene, and overall well being. This drive encloses various initiatives, campaigns, and products that are designed to promote awareness, education, accessibility, affordability of feminine care products and services.

The Feminine Care Drive specializes in female based donations and care. “Sarah’s Circle only does women based donations because women have a gender based trauma,” said junior Chelsea Gonzales, Co-President of Hope for the Homeless.

“…When donating to our drive, you are helping women who have gone through one of the hardest things imaginable. … you’re also helping them actually enjoy their lives. Our drive is of course based on necessities needed to live but we are also collecting things like yarn, and lots of simple things that can bring joy to someone’s day,” said  Gonzales.

Caring for the homeless people is a matter of compassion, social justice, and human rights. Homelessness affects individuals from all walks of life.

The contributions that the Feminine Care Drive has for the community it is helping are very respectable and important. And as the Taft Swimming Coach Luis Navarro said, “We should throw a party for them.”