The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

• The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

Taft Today

Cheer Competition

Courtesy of reporter.

The Taft High School Cheer Competition is at Lincoln Way East. There’s going to be different co-ed divisions competing against each other to see who can make it to first place and get to go all the way to state. 

Haley Barrile is a senior at Taft High School. Her position is flyer. Barrile has been cheerleading for eight years. This is her last year as a Taft cheerleader and she’s very nervous but excited about the competition. Barrile said, “I think we’ll go very far this year, hopefully state.” 

Kate Alverado is a senior at Taft High School. Her position is side base and tumbler. Alverado’s been cheering for six years. It’s her last year on the Taft cheerleading team and she’s very nervous for the competition. Since a lot of the cheerleaders last year cheerleading for Taft, they hope to make it far and to do very well. Alverado said, “So sad this is all the seniors on the teams last year cheering, then it’s all gonna be over.”

Alina Love is a senior at Taft High School. Her position is captain. Love was cheerleading for fourteen years. She feels that everyone is nervous for the competition because the team hasn’t competed in a long time. It’s the teams first co-ed division cheer competition. Love hopes to get far in the competition but she hopes to at least get top five. 

Madi Martell is a senior at Taft High School. Her position is base and tumbler. Martell has been cheerleading since freshman year. Martell said, “I’m feeling anxious and nervous about the competition but happy to be competing with my friends.” Martell feels that the team has the potential to win city and go down to state. 

Zack Nance is a sophomore at Taft High School. His position is tumbler and back spot. Nance has been cheerleading for three years, it’s his second year on the Taft cheer team. Nance believes Varsity is going to get 3rd or 4th place, but thinks JV is going to win. 

Nance said, “Watching from an outside perspective I think the team has definitely got their stuff together within the last few practices. So I think if they keep it up then they can definitely go into it and hit.” 

Arianna Serrano is a junior at Taft High School, her position is flyer. Serrano has been cheerleading for six years, this is her third year on a Taft cheer team. Serrano said, “If we try our very best we can get anywhere.” If Serrano’s college that she wants to go to has cheerleading then she would definitely keep cheerleading in college. 

Our senior cheerleaders will be missed next year. Hopefully the Taft High School cheerleading team wins first place and makes it to state. Everyone wish them good luck in their first co-ed division cheer competition.