The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

• The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

Taft Today

A Basketball Journey

Courtesy of reporter.

Grace Brumley started playing basketball at the age of four. Basketball has always been centered around her since her family is very basketball oriented. Brumley explained how she and her twin brother started playing basketball at a park district where her mom worked. 

“ It started when my brother started playing basketball and I wanted to be just like him,” said Brumley, now a senior at Taft High School.

Brumley would like to play for her four years at college but she doesn’t think she would want to pursue it professionally.

Brumley now plays on the Varsity Basketball team and is one of the team’s captains. Emily Chavez, who is also a senior at Taft High School, has played basketball with Brumley since fifth grade. 

“It’s definitely hard to think about how we aren’t going to be together anymore. We have definitely been through alot together. We have experienced a lot together like different coaches and different games. It has been fun,” said Chavez.

In the next two to three games Brumley is going to reach her 1,000 point mark. Brumley will be the second person at Taft High School to reach this 1,000 point mark goal.

“I’ll feel really accomplished when this happens and all the goals and hard work I put into this will be paying off,” said Brumley.

Brumley’s coach, Brandon Lathon, said, “In her three years that we’ve been together she has matured a lot and she has gotten better at trying to lead the team and organize them. She has a great work ethic outside of practice. She puts in all the time to get better and continues to become a solid player on the basketball court so that’s one of her biggest skills.”

Regarding Brumley reaching the 1,000 point mark, Lathon said, “ I think it just shows her dedication to highschool basketball. She’s been a three year Varsity starter and leading scorer on this team, that’s a lot to take on as a sophomore.”

Chavez said, “I’m so proud of her. I know she’s worked really hard to reach this, so I’m so proud of her. It was really fun playing with her all those years we played together and I wish her well during her college years.”

To conclude, Brumley said, “ I’d like to thank my team and I really enjoyed playing at Taft the past four years.”