The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

• The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

Taft Today

Hope for the Homeless’ Toy Drive

Courtesy of Google Images.

The Hope for the Homeless club is running a Toy Drive from Nov.18 to Dec. 18. All donations will go directly to children at the Lurie Children’s Hospital.

Hope for the Homeless is a student-based club which aims to create a positive environment within Taft and the community. They also donate to various organizations. Previously, Hope for the Homeless has hosted drives similar to this one such as a Canned Food Drive, Feminine Hygiene Drive, and a Coat Drive.

Donations will directly benefit patients. The Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago helps more than 239,000 children every year according to their website. It is important that patients are able to heal in the best environment possible.

It not only helps the children, but their families as well. “I hope to just lift an extra weight off of the shoulders of parents with sick children,” said Taft junior Gabriella Panzica, Club President of Hope for the Homeless.

“During the holiday season especially, having a sick child is already enough worry, affording presents shouldn’t be another,” said Panzica. “We hope to help the parents that need it the most.”

It is also another way for students to give back to their community and make a difference directly. “ Even though you don’t know exactly which child your donation goes to, you are making a difference,” said Panzica. “Give back to a family who really needs it.”

Taft students can help today by donating to one of the boxes located at the main entrance of TFA or the Varsity campus.

Every donation matters and helps the club reach its goal. “The club’s goal for this drive is to gather as many toys as possible to be donated,” said Taft junior Chelsea Gonzales, Co- President of Hope for the Homeless. 

Less children will potentially be left out if more students donate. “ I think one big challenge would just be me personally worrying if we are not going to get enough…Now more than ever is when we need donations, and I don’t want any child to feel like their sickness is a burden,” said Panzica.

Lurie Children’s Hospital accepts all unopened and unused toys for ages of infant to young adult. “I think the toys we mostly need are for children ages three to 13, this is the age mainly at Lurie Children’s,” said Panzica. “And if you are able to get toys that do not point towards a specific gender, that would be great!”

When told about Hope for the Homeless and the Toy Drive, students at Taft expressed a positive opinion. “I think what they are doing for the community is great,” said Taft junior Emilio Venegas.

The Toy Drive ends on Dec 18. If you want to help out more, be sure to look out for more donation drives in the future. “We have not worked with Lurie Children’s hospital in the past but are really looking forward to this partnership and will definitely be working with them more in the future,” said Gonzales. 

Hope for the Homeless meets every other Monday in room 236 and is sponsored by Individuals and Societies teacher Alyssa Niese.