The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

• The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

Taft Today

Baseball Senior Night

Courtesy of Nathan Schnur.

The Baseball team’s senior night was held on May 6. The team played against Amundsen, and won. The score was 5-3. This game was a significant event for seniors before the ending of the season. 

Senior night is a celebration where each senior on the team gets a banner as well as a ceremonial announcement with their loved ones. Some sports teams celebrate senior night differently. 

Senior Joshua Rivera-Vasquez stated, “Senior night to me is a celebration of the hard work that all of the seniors have put in throughout their time playing. The baseball senior night is special because the parents are involved and go all out. Lots of food, music, hanging out and gifts.”

Rivera-Vasquez continued, “ I am very excited for my family to be able to attend but I am also sad because it is nearing the end of the season.”

Senior night is the stepping stone for many of the players before the end of the baseball season. It allows the players to make long lasting memories and begin stepping into their future.

Jordan Lopez, Taft senior, said, “My favorite memory was hitting my first high school home run my sophomore year.”

Lopez continued, “This senior night meant something special to me because of how much the parents do for us and all they have gone through to make this night special. I was at first sad about senior night but I am happy now for playoffs.”

Rhett Nunez, Taft senior, said, “My favorite position to play was first base because you were involved in pretty much every play.”

Nunez continued, “For our senior night they announced all the seniors with their families. We got a basket made for us, and they served us with lots of food, and gave all seniors a bat with our names engraved on it.”

Senior night can be an emotional night for players, saying goodbye to your teammates to many of them is like saying goodbye to family. This night that takes place for seniors makes you start reminiscing about the good times you had as a team.