The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

• The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

Taft Today

Guest Opinion: Skincare Outrage

Written for English II and selected for publication by Taft Today staff.
Janel Limardo
Writer Tatiana Kotarba workshopping her article with Editors-in-Training Cassie Nowik and Carmen Ramirez.

Walking into Woodfield mall, I see little girls from ages six through ten walking into Sephora which should in reality be for teenagers and older women. Young girls walk past cheaper makeup and run straight to the expensive skincare brands such as Drunk Elephant, Tatcha, etc.  The skincare that they choose is for older women who are struggling with their skin and have problems like acne, wrinkles, irritation and so forth. Most people believe that there’s nothing wrong with children exploring skincare, however it is destroying their skin with products they do not need. 

In a recent magazine study made by Dr. Brooke Jeffy, she stated  why children should not be using these products for their non-mature skin. Young children’s skin can not handle the chemical usd in these products which makes their skin more prone to future skin damage. This is supported in Willow Bowens article “Drunk Elephant Has Kids Under the Influence”,  which is a response to Dr. Brooke Jeffy studies. Dr. Jeffy reacted to the newest trend of mixing multiple skincare products together to create a “skincare smoothie” that younger kids would later put on their skin. In the article, Willow Bowen stated, “[Dr. Jeffy] stresses that, “These are way too many actives for young skin, kids please don’t use retinol and these acids together, you are going to tear up your skin barrier.”’ These products that influencers all over social media have been marketing towards their followers are going to eventually cause further health problems to little girl’s skin as they mature and age. For younger skin you don’t need all these heavy products that are labeled for older people. Kids don’t need these products such as retinol, hyaluronic acid, and anti-aging creams. The only products that doctors will recommend for a younger child are a gentle cleanser, moisturizer, and a SPF sunscreen. It will keep their skin healthy for the future so they won’t have damaged skin barriers from all the harsh chemicals they are adding on their face. 

Data collected from the skincare outrage of these children buying expensive products has skyrocketed in numbers in less than a year. In the article “Why are Tweens and Teens Obsessed With Skincare? Doctors Warn the Trend Cause More Harm Than Good” it says, “spending on skin care products among tweens and teens, particularly Generation Alpha — those born in or after 2010 — skyrocketed by nearly 20% in 2023.” Although the skincare companies producing the products are making great income from the amounts being bought, children should not be buying a $100 dollar moisturizer at six years old. There are better, cheaper options for their age. If companies start marketing cheaper products for kids that are better for them. Not only will parents be happy but children will also learn how to properly take care of their skin.

Young children should consult a doctor when it comes to healthcare tips and not from the internet.  In this case, they want to follow the big stars and use the products that they use. Nowadays, many kids have this mentality, being absorbed by the internet and not being able to tell if something will cause more harm than good. Children are too young to understand what is best for them. Society should stop exposing kids to behaviors that could affect them negatively. Children follow in the footsteps of what is shown in the media. Be the change and don’t let influencers change your child’s life.