The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

• The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

Taft Today

International Night

Alizay Revolorio
Students performing on I Night

International Night took place April 26. This event was an opportunity for many students to represent their culture through the performing arts. 

Over 15 plus clubs participated. Some of the clubs that participated were Mexican club, Filipino club, Polish club, Latin American club, Black Union club, etc. Many students participated in the event such as senior students Jayln Sauseda, Alexandra Pilch, and Madison Orduño.

Sauseda stated, “Since I am hispanic I wanted to be a part of a Hispanic club to represent the school.”

Sauseda continued, “This year the Mexican club is doing a traditional Mexican dance called folklorico. Being part of international night for me is very exciting. This is my second year participating. I’ve loved dancing since I was a child so I thought it would be fun.”

Even if students didn’t participate in the event they were still able to view the performances. The clubs performed from 2nd until 8th period and then after school at 5:30 pm.

Pilch stated, “Since this is my senior year I wanted to embrace my heritage and join the Polish club. I enjoy this club since the people are very outgoing and energetic.This will  be my first International Night.We have been practicing for half a year. We are doing disco polo, cieszyn, and spisz.”

Pilch continued, “Before you get on stage it’s quite nerve racking but since we practiced so much the fear does go away once you’re on stage.”

These clubs appear to become a safe environment for students to be themselves and embrace their culture. Along the way they make good friendships, learn more about each other, and learn about themselves.

Orduño is in Ecuadorian club. This is the first year of the club. The three dances they did were zapateando, columbia, and de la yuma. The club has been practicing since January. Orduño, a Taft senior, said, “I hope our club left a good impression for people to join next year.” 

Orduño said, “It was a good feeling after dancing on stage because we got to share our culture with everybody. It was a great feeling.”

Joining a club is an opportunity for many students to enhance their skills and try new things like participating in a memorable event such as International Night.