The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

• The Student News Site of William Howard Taft High School

Taft Today

Taft Today

Boy’s Baseball Breast Cancer Sweater Fundraiser

Courtesy of reporters.

In the past year an estimate was revealed, according to the American Cancer Society, that around 300,000 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed making it the most common cancer in American women. 

There are certain factors that can increase the risk of breast cancer. This includes obesity, genetics, and especially increasing age according to The Mayo Clinic. Millions of women have reported living their life incorporating healthy meals and exercises to their daily routines. Even with this, some women can still get breast cancer without having any risk factors or showing signs. 

In the past month, the Taft boys baseball team has been raising money in support of the Lynn Sage Breast Cancer foundation by selling sweaters and shirts for the price of 25 dollars to 35 dollars.

We talked to Mark Madden, the assistant coach of the Boys Varsity Baseball team, about what motivated him to choose this foundation. “I am an advocate of the Lynn Sage Breast Cancer Foundation. Both my grandmother and mother have been diagnosed with breast cancer and were survivors after the initial diagnosis.” The cause is important to him because not only does it affect a quarter million of people but also his family. 

There’s plenty of emotion behind this cause and fundraiser. That’s one of the main reasons why the Lynn Sage Breast Cancer Foundation was chosen. 

Kellie Schnur, a mom of one of the baseball players, designed and formatted the shirts and sweaters for the fundraiser. In an interview with her, she was questioned about her inspiration and attention techniques to get more people involved. 

“The cause is what inspired me. I also knew my son and his teammates would benefit from the program since it would fund their out of state spring break competition.” 

Taft shows their support by encouraging others to donate and understand the cause. Many people decide to buy merchandise, food, tickets, and more in support of a cause without understanding its intentions or where the money is going. 

At the end of the day, the money being raised will benefit both partners. The baseball team will have funding for the out of state spring trip and the Lynn Sage Breast Cancer association can receive funding for new and more advanced testing and medicine.